Monday, September 9, 2013

Change in Gears: My Critique of The Bone Season (Part 2)


I left off in the last post talking about the two different passages I found in both Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games, and Samantha Shannon's The Bone Season. The reason I chose to compare Shannon's book to Hunger Games in the first place, is because the two have already been compared in articles I've read, and also because I found so many similarities between the two books when I read The Bone Season. For example, the setting, the round-up of the clairvoyants in a “reaping” style, and Paige engaging in illegal activities.

What I like so much about HG is precisely passages like the one I shared last week. Even amongst such a fast-paced story, such an action oriented plot, there are little golden nuggets like the one I chose, which alert the reader to the wider scope of the story. There is so much going on underneath the surface, and Collins brilliantly weaves that in to the action of the story. This passage is incredibly significant to the entire story for several reasons:

1. It is the turning point both in plot and character development. Before this, Katniss, while by no means supportive of the way things are in her world, accepts her situation simply as the way things are and chooses to focus her energy on not only her own survival, but also the survival of the people important to her. In this scene, after Rue (a 12-year-old girl with whom Katniss has formed an alliance) dies, Katniss’ attitude changes dramatically. Suddenly survival is no longer enough. This is where her rebellion begins, and her rebellion triggers the larger scale one that follows in the later books.
2. This passage is incredibly focused in the sense that it brings together all the major themes in the book. It touches on the dignity of human life and how appalling it is to have it denied in death. It touches on the illusion of individual powerlessness that oppressive regimes often create in the people they subjugate. On a smaller scale, the scene reveals the reason the Capitol has been so successful in subjugating the Districts: it has them too busy not only competing with each other, but also literally killing each other, to even think about banding together against the Capitol. This is probably my most favourite element of the scene – despite the fact that the boy from District One was the one to kill Rue, Katniss rightfully lays the blame not on him – who is just as much a victim of their ruthless world as Rue – but on the Capitol itself.

3. This scene not only expresses, but also celebrates an individual’s free will and power. This scene brings to life the saying, “one person can change the world,” because this is the moment when Katniss, at this point a very public figure, shows defiance for the first time, thereby making it acceptable for the Districts to do so. As Katniss firmly asserts, no matter how beaten down and powerless an individual becomes, there is something inherent in each person that can never be taken from them, something that cannot be reduced to a “piece” or a pawn in someone else’s plans. Katniss covering Rue in flowers as an impromptu kind of funeral is such a powerful scene precisely because the reader knows everyone in Panem is a witness to what she's done. She refuses to play the role the Capitol gives her by respecting Rue as an individual rather than a "piece in their Games."
 
All of that from a passage that is not even half a page long. I was hard pressed to find even a fraction of that in the second passage.

There are echoes of the same things – that is certainly obvious to me. Paige’s defiance in liking the yellow jacket and the way she takes pride in what is meant to be a symbol of shame within this new community in which she finds herself speaks to her individuality and free will. She refuses to be reduced to one thing or classified in simplistic terms – she stayed true to who she is. Katniss does the exact same thing. Paige further emphasizes this when she rejects the identity she has been given in this strange place: the number 40. She insists on maintaining the name she earned on the streets before she was captured: the Pale Dreamer. This name identifies her as several things in the voyant world, such as one of the Seven Seals (powerful voyants in the service of a mime-leader, which is the equivalent to a gang leader) as well as a rarity even among her own kind: a dreamwalker. I think there is something to be said for that – it is not without meaning. But it doesn’t drive the point home quite like Katniss does. It’s missing a certain urgency, immediacy and relevance with which Katniss’ passage is saturated. Paige’s passage barely alludes to the oppression she and others like her experience throughout the book. It doesn’t shed light on the cruelty the voyants experience at the hands of the Rephaim, who are supposedly saving the humans from the mess they got themselves into (even as I’m writing this, the similarities between the two books continue to blow my mind). What little introspection there is in this passage does not go very deep – she considers an uprising in passing and then discards it easily. Her focus remains on her own individual survival, despite the fact that she has resolved to take a stance against Nashira in a way that is not unlike Katniss’ antagonism towards President Snow in the later books. This passage, and Paige’s character for that matter, lack the impact, resonance, and sheer relevance that a comparable scene from Hunger Games achieves.

Now, is this necessarily a bad thing? No, it’s not. My personal preference for the Hunger Games is more than obvious here. Not all books will be, or should be, like the Hunger Games, even if I would love them to be. My chief frustration with the book lies not so much in the story itself at all, but rather on the hype the marketing of the book created. I feel like marketing staff these days throw around comparisons as it suits them, not caring whether or not they are actually accurate. It achieves the end goal, there is no doubt about that – I bought the book, and the marketing team made money off me. Hooray, good for them. But I find the way they did it despicable. Marketing strategies like these completely kill the value of good books and it transforms art into a commodity rather than art. It no longer matters whether something is good – and all standards to determine this fly out the window in the process – all that matters is that the book sells. And all you really need for that to happen is a cheap thrill (I’m thinking 50 Shades of Grey here) or an old and tired formula (such as a vampire love story).

I also think this is colossally unfair to a new, young writer like Samantha Shannon, whose book hadn’t even been released when she was being compared to J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins - both now firmly classics in the children/young adult genres. Once this comparison is made, her book will never be judged on its own terms, free of the shadows of older and far more experienced writers. She will always have to try her best to match or surpass these preceding stories without the writing or life experience they have behind them. I can’t help but wonder if I would have been as disappointed with the book if I hadn’t been hoping for the next big thing as I read it. Would I have loved it? I doubt it. If I’m being brutally honest, I find it just another book in the string of teenage stories that try and recycle the same things over and over again. But then again I might have enjoyed it a little more – not to mention I would have been less critical - without the indignation of it being held up to the same level as one of my favourite books.

What do I think of Samantha Shannon and her book removed from the context of her debut? I think she has potential. I think that at the heart of the story she has an original concept that gives her a lot of room to work with. Her writing is not the best I’ve ever seen, but experience will change that (hopefully). I would have done many things very differently (and I feel within my rights to critique because she is my age): setting, set-up, and villains just to name a few, but this is only the first of what is supposed to be a seven part series. For all I know what she’s got left up her sleeve will completely blow my mind. And at the end of the day, I can critique and condemn her book all I want, but she has managed to not only finish a novel, which is quite the accomplishment in itself, but also to catch the attention of one of the biggest publishing companies in the world. For the foreseeable future she will be living her dream of writing for a living. That is much more than I can say for myself.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this insightful piece. I didn't particularly enjoy The Bone Season either, but I couldn't have put it as elegantly as you. It's nice to know someone else (and in a similar situation, as a writer about Shannon's age who's been writing novels, and getting them rejected, since 14) has had the same thoughts as me, both about the book and the publicity machine behind it.

    I've followed the media storm around The Bone Season and its author with equal parts of awe and dismay. I got an ARC of the book through Amazon Vine a month before the release, and despite the clear imagination found it borderline tedious in places, and so gave it 3 stars. But I never expected the book to do anything less than fantastically once it was released - no book could fail to hit the bestseller lists with the sheer level of publicity Shannon managed to garner. What has surprised me more is that so many bloggers and Amazon reviewers genuinely seem to have enjoyed it - that's great for them, but I couldn't have put it better than you when it comes to the "despicable" behaviour of the publisher. They've certainly been very clever about the whole thing - they got the book to the point where everyone was talking about it because everyone was talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It's definitely nice to know that I'm not the only who's had a frustrating experience with the way some books seem to be marketed lately. This isn't the first time I've gotten excited over a book because of the reviews or hype around it and then found the actual book less than stellar. What surprised me is that Bloomsbury is pushing this one so hard despite the fact that she is so young and the story itself didn't exactly wow me, or you either it seems. I'm glad you liked what I had to say. Best of luck in your own writing!

      Delete